Saturday 19 February 2011

Fishy Time

Little did I know or plan on having my feet soaked in a warm tank full of fish?!! Yes, you got that right. Today was all about shopping and seeing what bargains I could buy not having a little fishy time!
To you and me, it’s called The Fish Tank Pedicure but it’s professional name is Ichthyotherapy. It has a long history with sufferers from Dertomology conditions/issues that are mostly used in India, Greece, Turkey, the Middle East and China.
The fish (Garra Rufa) are bred in warm water and are kept in tanks. They are scarcily fed by taking meals from the skin of people. Luckily for us, they don’t have any teeth and they suck gently. They eat the dead skin and leave it all clean and soft. In Turkey, they use the fish as a natural spa remedy and as a treatment to relieve the symptoms of skin conditions like Psoriasis and Eczema etc.
I found it a bit woo at first as they all swarmed round my first foot that I put in the tank and loved it straight away. I’d say there was probably around thirty to fourty fish in each tank. I was expecting it to pinch slightly or I just wouldn’t like it but thought it was really relaxing. I found myself giggling and laughing as it tickled me a lot! My support worker didn’t like it at first, it took her about ten minutes to get used to it and start enjoying it which was a shame as you only get fifteen minutes. Although the lass forgot to put the timer on so we had that extra bit longer which I was definatelty not complaining about!!
It was a shame we didn’t have a back rest so you could relax even more but oh well. My feet are all lovely and soft now as I get quite bad dry flaky skin. It has also eased my muscles in my feet too, like the circulation seems have to eased as well. I have Perniosis (a circulation problem in my feet where the blood spasms underneath the surface.
Would I recommend you going to try it? Yes, I would without a doubt! Take a bit time out for you to relax and let those hungry little fishies do their magic. I will definately be having another go!

No comments:

Post a Comment