Tuesday 8 March 2011

Glitz and Glam

Over the past few weeks, I’ve discovered something that I used to love and somehow moved away from when growing up in my late teens. As my parents were young adolescents during the 1970’s, I grew up listening to artists that they listened to. The artists that I loved were Abba, David Bowie, Wizzard and many more. To this day, I still love them. I can’t forget Van Halen or Sir Elton John! A lot of these artists were into their make-up and fashion as we all are aware of. This is known as Glam Rock (just in case you didn’t know). Ok, Abba weren’t glam rock but their style reminds me of the theme.
Glam rock originated coming out of psychedelic and art rock era (bands such as Pink Floyd were known as psychedelic rock as well as The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix and The Byrds etc). It varied both musically and style. It is a mixture of rock and pop music. The style ranged from 1930’s Hollywood glamour, 1950’s pin-up sex appeal, sci-fi to other styles such as cabaret theatrics. Often it was seen outrageous with bright, daring make-up, platforms. The majority of the time it is seen showing sexual and ambiguity of gender.
Platform Shoe

I am glad to see that it has come back with the likes of Lady Gaga and a firm favourite of mine, Adam Lambert. I think it is fun, creative, stylish and daring to be different. Rock and pop are two of my favourite genres of music so to hear it blended... heaven to my ears!
For those of you who are asking who is Adam Lambert, he’s the runner-up in the American Idol back in 2009. You may have heard about him and his ‘controversy’ kiss with another male whilst performing on the American Music Awards, well that is him. The reason why I put it in inverted commas was because I personally don’t see it as controversial. There are far more things to worry about than two same gender people kissing. I understand to some people, they believe the Adam and Eve and that it isn’t part of the bible. I just think it is a natural thing, no matter what your sexual preferences are.  Most Adam Lambert’s fans know that he is gay and it infuriates me that people make a big deal out it. I know and I apologise for going off track, but it does relate to the glam rock in the ambiguity of gender sense. Anyway, Adam has released Whataya Want From Me, For Your Entertainment and If I Had You so far. I love how he dresses up and has an edge to his style of fashion and music. To some people, they may think he is off the wall in whatever way but I love that he is himself. He does what he wants to do.
Adam Lambert
I want to end this post on saying... be yourself, be wacky, be creative and have fun! Experiment with your clothes, make-up (for both men and women) and be a diva. Whack on some music. Lose yourself in the glam rock era and don’t be afraid to stand out from the rest of the crowd!

No comments:

Post a Comment