Monday 21 March 2011

Living Through The Words

This past week has been a week of doing my assignment. I’m doing a Comprehensive Creative Writing Course with The Writers Bureau. Comprehensive meaning that I get to cover many styles and genres such writing articles, travel pieces, writing for different audiences, and how to use techniques to help you prepare for publishing of your work.
I originally started the course early last year (2010) and successfully completed assignment 1 where I received positive feedback from my tutor although I did notice that she ‘corrected’ a name in the piece that was actually already correct. I have always been taught that if it is a name then it should start with a capital letter which is what I had done but she marked it and changed to small letter. I am guessing that she hadn’t realised this. I will be looking out for this in my future assignments feedback. From feeling slightly anxious at awaiting the feedback to what I did get back, I felt totally relieved and encouraged to carry on.
My second assignment was considerably more challenging than the first one which I expected but thankfully it all came together just this past week. I decided to write an article aiming for Love it! Publication about my life and how I’ve coped with living with E.D.S. the analysis section, I found relatively straightforward as I have had to do this whilst studying my A-Level in English Language back in 2007. It was the outline that I struggled with as I did this after I wrote the article piece. The reason for this being was that I had no quotes or facts to put in which was in the example the course gives you. Now I just hope that my tutor gives me constructive feedback, brilliant if it is positive and reasonable if it needs a little tweaking here and there.
From the time when I could read as a young child, I have loved to write. Mostly I wrote stories and plays that I would have my toys or my friends act out. It was a way of escape or merely to pass the time, not sure which it is but I know that I took pleasure in creative writing. My teachers at school used to tell my parents how I used to always just write stories and they would praise me for them. Even through during my teens, I still spent time reading and writing. However, I never showed any of my work to my teachers at seniors as I personally felt I wasn’t particularly good at anything. I was constantly told to do better with my work (whatever it was) so never dared show them my writing that I did at home. It wasn’t until I went away to Beaumont College (residential) that I began to feel confident and that I could do things competently. My friends around me also wrote, one who wrote songs and another who was poetic. This encouraged me to start showing off what I was capable of, the staff were liking my writing (which mostly consisted of poetry) and I was forever writing. Whilst there, I created my own little animation film which I wrote myself and had it on display for visitors to watch. This made me feel rather noble hearing pleasant feedback.

At this point in my life, I decided that I wanted to be a journalist. I had the notion that I was capable of writing for a publication (I was appointed as the editor of the college newsletter which was sent out of college to Scope and various other people) and it was set in an office. A few years later after studying my A-Levels, I secured myself onto a BA Hons Journalism course at a university which I was very contented with. I always dreamt of going to uni but in reality, never thought I could manage to get a place! Soon I realised that journalism wouldn’t be as straightforward as I thought it would be as you have to travel out of the office to interview people and work at a heavy schedule which was not amendable to my needs.

 So after some time out once I successfully completed all of my A-Levels, and had a thorough pondering, journalism was not for me. Somehow, I ended up being offered a place on a BA Combined Science Degree at my local college. This was to cover Sociology, Psychology and Criminology. In my head, I only applied to do a basic course on one of them courses but the tutor who interviewed me said I was too advanced. Anyway, after preparing myself for this new and unexpected adventure, I was all set to go when I found out that the college had dropped the degree course! I had to find out myself! Even my days of attending this college on a school link scheme, I hadn’t really liked it so in a way I was relieved. Then I took some time to find myself and enjoy myself for a change. Then I decided, after some research, that I would enrol on the writing course that I am now doing.
Anyway, it is time that I got back to doing some research for my assignment as I really don’t want to take ages to complete this one unlike I did on assignment 2!!

No comments:

Post a Comment